What to do before, during, and after an earthquake.
If you live in California, you know the risk of a major earthquake is ever-present. With no way to predict when an earthquake will hit, it’s imperative to ensure you are prepared at all times. Here’s what you need to do to get ready for a quake, what to do during a quake to stay safe, and what you should do in the aftermath of a quake.
- Purchase Earthquake and Emergency Supplies – You can buy a ready-made earthquake kit at your local hardware or camping store. These kits are assembled by experts and include everything you need to get through an earthquake. Once you’ve purchased a kit for each of your family members, customize them with comfort items, a change of clothes, related medical supplies, and so on.
- Make an Earthquake Preparedness Plan – Your plan should include what you will do during an evacuation, where you and your loved ones will reunite, your out-of-state contact person’s information, where your emergency kits are located, and so on.
- Secure Hazards – Have a risk management expert inspect your home for hazards. Follow their recommendations to eliminate or minimize the hazards that could cause injuries or even death during a quake.
- Drop, Cover, and Hold – When an earthquake hits, you must remain calm and immediately protect yourself from injury. Drop to the floor; take cover under a sturdy desk, table, or doorway; and hold onto it firmly. Do not attempt to move about until you are sure the shaking has subsided.
- Check for Injuries and Damage – Immediately after the shaking stops, check for injuries that require immediate medical attention. Once you and your family have been treated, identify major damages around your home such as damaged gas lines, pipes, sewage lines, and electrical systems. Evacuate your home if damages are severe.
- Communicate and Recover – Use your solar or hand-crank powered radio to gather information and safety advisories. If possible, contact your insurance agent to report damages. Contact your loved ones to tell them you are okay.
These are some of the steps to take before, during, and after an earthquake. Want another way to protect your loved ones and your home from a quake? Secure the proper insurance protections from the experts at Weaver & Associates in Arcadia, California. Contact us to get started today.