Does your home policy cover more than emergency situations?

While you know that your homeowners insurance will offer coverage for emergency events such as storms, fires, and burglaries, does it offer coverage for other forms of damage?  For instance, will your home insurance cover internal home damages that do not have external catalysts?  Here’s what you need to know.

  • Mold

Mold is considered a type of water damage.  So, if mold is caused by a sudden accident, then it may be covered by your homeowners insurance.  However, mold removal is not covered if it is the result of a flood, ground seepage, or poorly maintained pipes that started to leak.  As a general rule, mold infestations caused by lack of maintenance are your responsibility and will not be covered by your homeowners insurance.

  • Pet Damage

Typically, your homeowners insurance will not cover any damage that your pet has caused to your home or personal belongings.  Most standard home policies specifically exclude coverage for damages caused by pets or domestic animals.  However, the personal liability portion of your policy will offer coverage for the damage or injuries that your pet causes to a third-party.

  • Infestations

If your home sustains damage due to a rodent or insect infestation, then your homeowners insurance will not offer coverage.  This is because infestations are considered a result of the homeowner’s negligence.  So, if your home or belongings are damaged by pests, then you will have to cover this cost on your own.

Here’s what home insurance will cover when it comes to internal damages.  Do you have additional questions?  Then contact the experts at Weaver & Associates in Arcadia, California.  We are ready to assist you with all your insurance needs today.