Home insurance coverage for fire damages.

Fires are one of the most common and expensive types of damage events that homeowners face.  Naturally, many homeowners want to know exactly what their insurance will cover when it comes to fires.  Here’s what you need to know about your homeowners insurance and fire damages.

Standard homeowners insurance policies will offer coverage for both fire and smoke damage to your home and belongings.  You have this coverage regardless of where a fire starts.  For instance, if your home is damaged from a fire originating at a neighbor’s house, your insurance will still offer coverage for repairs.  Most home insurance policies also offer coverage for the damage caused by wildfires.  However, if you live in an area particularly prone to wildfires, then your policy may limit the amount of wildfire coverage that you have.  You may have to secure endorsements or supplemental insurance policies to get the comprehensive protection you need.

If the fire damage you sustain is particularly expensive, it may not be safe to remain in the home.  In this case, you can access the additional living expenses (also known as loss of use) coverage included in your homeowners policy.  This coverage will help you pay for temporary housing, as well as essentials such as food, laundry services, parking, and so on while your home is being repaired.

The only time your homeowners insurance will not offer coverage for fire damage is when you or anyone named on your policy caused the fire on purpose.  Intentional acts of damage are never covered by insurance.

This is what your home insurance will cover when it comes to fire damage.  Do you have additional questions about your homeowners insurance?  If so, then contact the experts at Weaver & Associates Insurance in Arcadia, California, today.