Damage to the structure is damage to the foundation of the house. Many things can cause chaos in your home structure, including floor changes, soil moisture, miserable original construction, improper use of soil, and even curious tree roots that begin to press the foundation walls. Therefore, it would help if you had an excellent idea about homeowners insurance and structural insurance for any future obstacle you might face.

What does Homeowners Insurance Cover?

Most policies do not cover structural damage unless protected by certain events. In many cases, homeowners need to add specific circumstances to their existing homeowners insurance policy or take a separate policy for structural issues on home insurance. It is dependent on the cause of the structural issues for homeowners insurance.

Homeowner’s insurance can protect in the following situations:

  • If your home collapses due to any unexpected event, the homeowners insurance will cover your expenses.
  • Sometimes a wall collapses due to accidental events such as construction issues or something similar; your homeowners insurance would cover the damage.
  • If your home collapses due to any climatic hazards such as heavy snowfall or storm, your insurance will pay for the repair.

Do You Have to Pay Even After Homeowners Insurance Coverage?

If the amount required exceeds the limits of the homeowners insurance, you would have to pay the remaining amount. To be sure, you need to check your policy and find out exactly how much insurance coverage you have and also the remaining amount that you would have to pay.

What to do if You Don’t Get Homeowners Insurance Coverage?

If your homeowners insurance does not cover the structural damages, you can consider a separate earth movement insurance policy. With this policy, you would get protection against natural disasters that aren’t covered by homeowner’s insurance. It covers structural damages caused due to earthquakes, landslides, and other natural calamities.

Of course, the foundation of your home is fundamental. The best way to protect your home is to look for early signs of damage related to foundation issues. If you find that your house could be structurally damaged, act quickly.

If you are looking to get homeowners insurance, contact our experts at Weaver & Associates.